Sunday, January 18, 2009

Unchanging...

Growing up, we moved a lot....the life of a coach's kid! Of course, my dad being a preacher's kid, he didn't think much of it, and we went right along with it because it was what my dad was called to do. At first, the adjustments to a new town, new people, new house were hard, especially for me, the shy, quiet one, but looking back, the change was good each time. I could always see God's hand in moving us. Moving a lot is a good and bad change. "Good" changes for me are easy to think about....such as, getting married....good! Having our children....good!! Making new friends...good! The best good change of all....asking Jesus into my heart many years ago and feeling overwhelmed by His love and forgiveness. So, thinking of personal "bad" changes, some easily come to mind, and for me, they all seem to have the same thing in common....getting me out of my comfort zone and/or making me do something that may not feel easy at the time or may reveal a little about myself. These are things I know I should do, but that is easier said than done. I'm working on it and obviously, I don't have all the answers for the changes we go through. However, through the past few weeks, I have come back to the fact that God is in control, and He loves me and knows what He has planned for me. If I just give things to Him and look to Him for strength and help, He will be glorified, and I do not need to worry! I rely on faith in Him and place my trust in Him alone, so the changes I make are good if it means I am becoming more like my Savior. You know, I don't have it all figured out, and tomorrow I will still struggle with things, new and old, I'm sure. However, thankfully, I know with certainty that has been strengthened that God is unchanging! So, now you know why I added Chris Tomlin's song, "Unchanging" to my playlist. As I've been thinking about all this during the week, I came across that song again, and the words are amazing and so true....."Great is Your faithfulness, great is Your faithfulness. You never change, You never fail, O God. True are Your promises, true are Your promises. You never change, You never fail, O God. So we raise up holy hands to praise the Holy One who was, and is, and is to come. Yeah, we raise up holy hands to praise the Holy One, who was, and is, and is to come. Wide is your love and grace. Wide is your love and grace. You never change, You never fail, O God.....You were, You are, You will always be....." Therefore, I am excited for changes that are in store for the future, for me personally, for my family, for my friends, for my church, and for my city. I hope that my view of what makes me uncomfortable will be changed to one of, "I'm totally comfortable with that..." because God is able and sufficient, and He is unchanging! If you hear me humming this week, chances are it will be that song! (This is pretty cool...today I helped out in Children's Church, and we are doing a unit on "Metamorphosis," which if you ask Kaila, she will tell you it means "to change." Of course, I knew all week that this was going to be what we were talking about, but the relation of "change" was neat....since it's been on my mind! And one other thing, I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something in church this morning that would have made my PawPaw Thomas smile.....because he was always asking me to do it, and I had gotten out of the habit! Still working on that one, though!)

1 comment:

Denyse said...

Now that's change I can vote for! =)