Sunday, February 8, 2009

Friends

Friends. (Doesn't that make you think of the Michael W. Smith song?) Well, I have started this post many times this week but just couldn't write it. Friendship means a lot to me, and really, it intimidates me to write about it. How do I say what I want to say, and how could I not? When I moved to a new town the summer before my senior year, my best friend wrote me a letter and gave me a quilted bookmark, which I still have and carry in my Bible. It has a little "book" attached to the end, on which my friend wrote: "Friendship: Ecclesiastes 4:7-12....When you use this Bible mark, think of me! Your best friend, Jamie." This is the passage from Ecclesiastes...."Again I saw something meaningless under the sun: There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. 'For whom am I toiling,' he asked, 'and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?' This too is meaningless- a miserable business! Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." I think of her often; in high school, we did almost everything together. I even tagged along with her on a break-up with a boyfriend, which she doesn't recall, but how could I forget?! Like any friendship, we had great times, but then some bumpy times, which thankfully now I don't recall. All I know is God gave me a treasure in this friend. Over the past few years, I was beginning to wonder if I would have a friendship like that again, but thankfully, through some changes in me and through the wonderful plans of God, He has brought friends in to my life that are treasures as well and just what I needed right when I needed it! I have always believed in letting the people who are important to me know that they are just that....important. So, to my friends, the funky ones especially...and a few who may not quite be, I love you and am grateful to be able to call you each my friend. I hope you each know, individually, how much you are valued in my eyes, through good times and bumpy included. The words in Ecclesiastes are so true, and in closing, Proverbs 17:17, "A friend loves at all times...."

No comments: