Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Delight....and "I Don't Want to Go Through the Motions"

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
This is one of my numerous favorite verses, and it has been on my heart for a couple of months now. This past week, it came to mind again. Just needed a reminder this past week to put my happiness in the Lord and what He does in my life and around me, to "delight" in Him alone. That is easy enough to do, right? I want it to be easy enough to do. It's my desire to be happy in my Lord alone, but often I let little things distract me, and when that happens, all I do is pray to Him for the direction I need. He gives me a little nudge to get back on path....delighting in Him at every turn.
Lately, I am finding much delight in the way God is at work in and around my life. A year ago, at this time, honestly, I was just going through the motions. I am so blessed to belong to a family full of believers/servers of God, on both sides, and have been raised in church since I was born....literally. I have experienced salvation, growth, fellowship, and more along the journey of my life. But, spiritually/emotionally, I was just about empty last year.....holding on and knowing I needed to change. Thankfully, God was at work! I would not have imagined the kind of change and growth that I have been through, and only God could do it all. I would not have imagined that I would feel so passionately about the things that He has placed on my heart....my passion for Him has intensified over this year beyond what I had experienced before and continues to do so. I would not have believed that I would be sitting here writing this blog in the way that I am along with a desire for writing. I have always enjoyed, maybe favored, writing, but not like this! I am continually thinking about faith....the faith that Abraham, Moses, and so many others had. They were ordinary people that God used. He used them in extraordinary ways. And I want my faith to be like that....such that I am not afraid but just let go and let God move through me, because I know He is good and in control of my life.

There is a song right now that I love....."The Motions" by Matthew West. My favorite part goes like this.....
"No regrets, not this time, gonna let me heart defeat my mind.
Let your love make me whole.
I think I'm finally feeling something,
cause just ok is not enough.
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life.
(Chorus) I don't wanna go through the motions,
I don't wanna go one more day.
Without Your all-consuming passion inside of me.
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
'What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions."

Great song when heard in it's entirety, so I recommend listening to it!
So, to sum it up, that's what I'm doing right now....delighting myself in the Lord and not going through the motions anymore!

No comments: