Last week, my brother-in-law's grandfather went home to be with the Lord. I was very honored to be able to read the thoughts and memories of times with his grandfather that he shared at the funeral. As I was reading, it was so clear how special and how loved his Papaw was to him, which I already knew, but words have a way of expressing themselves. I also began to think of the legacy his Papaw leaves behind, which led me to think of my grandparents. I am very blessed to have grandparents who are amazing examples in so many ways. They are each examples in their Christian walk and faith. I was blessed to have my PawPaw Thomas be the one that I prayed with when I accepted Jesus as my Savior, and he also baptized me. Such special memories, but to be able to share these moments with him made it all the more special. In my Bible, I still have a note he wrote to me, with scripture references, about living the Christian life. It has been five years since he went home to be with the Lord he loved so much and spent over 50 years preaching and teaching about to many people. I miss him dearly and would love to talk to him about all the things going on in my life right now, but I know he is rejoicing in heaven right now! I have one of his Bibles from when he was young; it is heavily marked in, which is why I chose it from his study. In the front is a prayer that he wrote, and every time I read it, I feel the love for our Savior speaking through the words. It is a prayer of surrender, knowing God is faithful and in control. Those words mean so much to me now as I read them. My other grandfather, PaPa New, is a man who prays constantly; I know he is always praying for me and my family! He speaks God's Word and reads it every day. He believes it firmly!! What an example that has been to me over the years. My grandmothers are both examples in the way they love and serve the Lord, but from them, I learned (am still learning) how to be a Godly woman, wife, and mother. The way they each love their husband and the commitment to them has made a huge impact on my life. My Nanny gladly takes care my Papa New. They still hold hands and do just about everything together. My Mammaw was the same way. As a matter of fact, she is known for making tapioca pudding for my Paw Paw at an hour (very late) when one should not be making this dessert, but that just goes to show her love for her husband. Both of these women are wonderful mothers and grandmothers, loving, attentive, kind, and gentle. Both are examples of hospitality, to their families, friends, and neighbors. My words can't express how much I love each one of my grandparents. I know I am more than blessed to have been born into the Thomas and New families, and I thank God every day. My grandparents each have an amazing legacy that I carry on in their examples....
No comments:
Post a Comment